Thursday, September 18, 2008

Writing Assignment: Mary's Questions

This story is inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci's "Virgin of the Rocks."

Mary’s Questions

In the dry, deserted, cliffs where a few sporadic, wild flowers bloom among the crevices and in the hollows, the sea-blue water down below. A beautiful young woman kneels on the rocks as she ponders the future of two apparently ordinary young men.

“Their lives have hardly begun, but do they have any idea who they are and what God will do through them?” She wonders, “How often will their paths cross as they grow up? Do they understand what God has called them to do?”

“I can see them running about with the other boys playing games. I can hear their childish laughter ringing out around the dinner table. Only Jesus is my own son-- the begotten Son of God; yet, I also wonder about John. I know his role will be important in proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah. I wonder how Jesus will reclaim the Jewish people. How will the people respond to Him?”

“What a blessing to Elizabeth that she should have a son in her old age-- and what a son, he will be such a blessing to Israel. I am still amazed that I should be chosen out of all the women of Israel to be the mother of the only begotten Son of God, the Savior of the world it is incomprehensible-- and humbling.”

“John will be the herald of for the Messiah, preparing the way for Him. What a blessed calling that he should be that man-- the Elijah of this generation. John will prepare the way and Jesus will rule forever; may the Lord be praised forever! The prophecies about the Messiah shall come to pass!!”

Then, like a beautiful yet haunting shadow, the words of Simon ring in her mind, “Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed; and a sword will pierce through your own soul also; so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.”

“A sign that is opposed … a sword will pierce my own soul.” Those words echoed through her mind as she once again raced to find an explanation that fit with the prophecy and what she understood as God’s plan for her son.

“The fall and rising of many in Israel made sense. There are many people who fall when there is a great change in power, just as there are a great many that rise. A sign that is opposed that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed can even work with his rise to power; those who oppose him oppose the sign of God. The actions of those who oppose him will reveal the thoughts of their hearts-- this could possibly make sense, but doesn't explain why a sword will pierce my own soul. I know he will face hardships in defeating the Romans; that will trouble me, but not like a sword piercing my soul.”

“The reference could not be that he would reject me or turn from the faith-- he is the Son of God. Could it be possible that he could disappoint me-- he is my son and the Son of God-- I can’t imagine that that could truly be what pierces my soul.”

“What if Israel was slow in following him and, rejected his claim to be the Son of God? What if they punish him to the full extent of the law for claiming to be equal with God?’

“No, God could not allow His son to see death. He is to reign in victory forever. I could not bear, cannot believe that they would murder him-- surely God would not send His Son to die at their hands. It could not happen, God would step in and open their eyes to see that Jesus is really His Son- the great deliverer-- surely they would recognize him.”

“What if they don't? They would kill him, no; God would have to intervene on behalf of His Son- surely He would have to intervene.”

“Where would John be in this? He is to proclaim the Messiah’s coming and if they reject the one he proclaims what will they do to him? Would he be thrown in prison? Would he also be killed?”

“I can’t believe that Simon and the prophets meant he should be killed, the prophets also say he will come in glory-- the prophets also give the picture of the Messiah as the suffering servant. I will go crazy if I keep going- I must think about something else!”

“The prophets make it so clear in places-- that he shall suffer-- It can’t be the case, I refused to consider it. I can’t keep going on this line of thought; I will go completely crazy.”

“They are such beautiful, strong boys just learning to walk and talk now, but before I know it I will turn around and they will be grown and making their mark on our turbulent times. I wonder…”


Post may be edited at any time.


No comments: